SovereignGraceBaptistForum.com Forum Index SovereignGraceBaptistForum.com
(The views and opinions expressed here are the views of the members and do not necessarily reflect the view of the Sovereign Grace Baptist Church in Northport, AL)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pray for the people in the Philippines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SovereignGraceBaptistForum.com Forum Index -> Prayer Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhobbsjr
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Pray for the people in the Philippines Reply with quote

I got a text, forwarded from Bro. Matt Stepp, from one of the saints in the Philippines. Dear bro.'s and sis.'s, it is bad there, and we need to pray for these saints. Bro. Matt if there is anything we can do to help besides pray, please let us know. Have you heard from Bro. Salacup?

--------------------------------
" Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need"...Hebrews 4:16

Last edited by jhobbsjr on Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Matthew Stepp
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Pray and fast... Reply with quote

From what I can see on the news, the death toll will be in the 10's of thousands... Please pray as we have many churches and mission points in the Visayas region. I'll include the email we got from Eld.Herminio Geromiano's daughter. She (I believe) is working away from home and the message is heart-breaking in its abruptness...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Prayers for the Philippines
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 01:19:02 -0800 (PST)
Reply-To: Phebe Geromiano <ebehpgee@yahoo.com>
To: matthew stepp <mnbstepp@suddenlink.net>, "dessiebaptist@hughes.net" , dan stepp <dstepp43@yahoo.com>, "sglimb@suddenlink.net"

Dear brethren,

Greetings to all of you!! I am Phebe, daughter of Pastor Min of Calinog, Iloilo. I am asking for your prayers for the people of the Philippines especially to those who are affected by the super typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda) that struck the country. This is the strongest typhoon ever recorded and unfortunately, it hit mostly the Visayas part. Since I am away from my family in Iloilo, i can't help but worry and anxiously waiting to hear anything from them. The last update that I've heard from my sisters' is that our roof is being blown away by the strong wind, and after a few minutes the telecommunication coverage were gone and can't contact them in any ways.. That was yesterday. I doubt that there's no electricity and service provider that is why Calinog is out of reach.

This might be the strongest and the most destructive storm in history, but I know that God is more powerful and will never leave His children in the time of storm... Please pray for my family and for other members especially in the mountainous areas cos they might experienced flood and mudslides..

God bless us all.
Sincerely,
Phebe

“The seas have lifted up, O LORD, the seas have lifted up their voice; the seas have lifted up their pounding waves. Mightier than the thunder of the great waters, mightier than the breakers of the sea—the LORD on high is mighty” (Psalm 93:3-4).

I love the faith shown in the verse quotation from Psalms... May the LORD bless and reward the faith of the Filipino people...

May God have Mercy on the Philippines...

Fear Him!

Jeremiah 31:3- "The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee."
Matthew Stepp
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Luzon brethren Reply with quote

Dear Bro.Jim,

I haven't heard from Bro.Bernardo Salacup personally, but Becky said that he had posted on Facebook that they were okay.

Manila was not hit like the middle islands were (and are)... But the whole country is being affected by the super storm...

Again, Pray and Fear Him!

Jeremiah 31:3- "The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee."
Steve McCool
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Canada Mission member who is from the Cebu City area of Philippines. I talked with her husband this afternoon and he said from what they have heard so far the most of the damage on that island was about 200-300 miles north of Cebu.
Bro. Matt, I did see on FaceBook earlier today where Bro. Salacup said they were okay.
There is also a Bro. Hansel Laurente Villasor who Pastors a church San Carlos City, San Carlos, Philippines. I have not heard from him. Which is unusual because we chat almost everyday on FaceBook. I have gone to his page and it looks like he has not been on since the 7th. I know their church building is in a low lying area very pron to flooding. The church Bro. Hansel Pastors is out of a church in Manila that was once a mission work of Bro. Brent Spears and Bryan Station Baptist Church Lexington, KY.
Matthew Stepp
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: This in from Bro.Bernardo Reply with quote

Subject: Update of Typhoon victims
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 17:22:54 -0800 (PST)
To: Mark Minney <dessiebaptist@rtol.net>, Daniel Stepp <dstepp43@yahoo.com>, Matthew Stepp <mnbstepp@suddenlink.net>

Dear Brethren,
Greetings in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, the name above every name and the key to all spiritual blessings in heavenly places (Eph 1:3)!

By God's grace and mercy, the brethren in Luzon are all okay and safe. Metro Manila and nearby provinces were signal number 2 during the typhoon.

The worst hit and severely damaged island is Visayas. I tried to communicate with the brethren there, but communication was down.

Yesterday, I was able to talk to pastor Francis Gepilga. The electricity in their area was restored and so I was able to talk to him. Their worship place was little bit damaged; there is no loss of lives. Praise the Lord for physical protection He gave to His people.

According to him, the place of worship(chapels) where pastors Elmer Paguntalan and Herminio Germiniano were destroyed as well as the houses of members. As of this time there is no update or any message with the brethren in Isabel Leyte and the Missions in Biliran.

We are also trying to communicate to brother Gonzaga in Tacloban. We cannot contact him. Let us continue pray for the affected brethren.

Your fellow workers in the Lord Jesus Christ,
Brother Bernardo G. Salacup

Matthew Stepp
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: From the Visayas Reply with quote

This was just forwarded to me from Dad. Pastor Gepilga is actually in the Visayas area that was the direct hit from the Typhoon. He is on the island of Panay in the city of Ilo ilo...

Please remember them in prayer! As he states in the email, the primary need right now is Food, Drinkable Water, clothes to wear and a roof to hide under! Everything has been destroyed or contaminated, as you might expect...

If any church or person wants to help, the Heritage Landmark BC will be wiring funds over to the Philippines as they receive them...

> From: Francis Gepilga <fgepilga@yahoo.com>
> Date: November 10, 2013 at 11:20:59 PM EST
> To: dan stepp <dstepp43@yahoo.com>
> Cc: "dessiebaptist@hughes.net" <dessiebaptist@hughes.net>
> Subject: Iloilo Curches & Missions
> Reply-To: Francis Gepilga <fgepilga@yahoo.com>
>
> Dear Bro. Dan and Bro. Mark,
> Greetings in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ! I just want to inform you that 80% of our Churches and Missions here in Iloilo were totally damage due to the Super Typhoon Yolanda which strike the Philippines last Nov. 8, 2013.

The storm was able to blown many of our Church Building and cause extreme damage to the houses and livelihood of our people. The Electricity and Communication System was totally affected which we find it hard to contact many of our pastors and workers.

The electricity just resumed yesterday here in our place, that's why I had able to make this email.

The Church in Estancia with Bro. Elmer Paguntalan experience extreme damage since the storm made a fifth landfall in their area.

Right now, we can't travel directly to some of our churches and missions which was extremely damage also because the road as for the moment is not yet clear and still unpassable due to some destroyed bridges.

We would like to appeal for your help and assistance to meet the immediate needs of our people for this time specifically for food, clothing and shelter. We would appreciate any assistance from you and do hope for your love and concerns. Please continue to pray for us!

> Bro. Francis Gepilga

Myrtis Caudill
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bro. Matt, We have been praying since we heard of the typhoon that was to hit and did hit the Philippines. So thankful that Bro. Bernardo is okay and we pray for all of the Filipino people at this difficult time. Thank you for telling us that HLBC will be sending funds to help.

Love in Him,
Myrtis
Matthew Stepp
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: God blesses and Provides Reply with quote

Dear Sis.Myrtis,

I know of several churches that are sending relief money over there. We are overwhelmed once again by the love of God's people, even in these hard times to sacrifice and give back to the LORD!

We have heard from all the mission works, save two. And thus far still, no loss of life! Much destruction and damage to physical infrastructures, but God is preserving!

Do pray for those two works on Leyte! We don't want to fear the worst, but we do know that communications are broken down in that area...

Pastor Herminio (Bro.Min) Geromiano says that they expect to have the electric back on within (the quick time) of two months. So no television or washing machines... even if they had them... which they don't in large part...

Keep praying! I'll attach a few more emails...

May God CONTINUE to have Mercy on the Philippines...!

In HIS Marvelous Grip!

Matthew Stepp
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reporting in from all over the Philippines Reply with quote

From a collection of emails sent out by Bro.Mark Minney on Wednesday...

Dear Brothers & Sisters in Christ,
Due to several inquiries we have had from churches & individuals concerning the strong typhoon named Hayian which hit the Philippines, especially the Visayas region, we felt the need to bring you up to date on what we know.
We have received a few e-mails informing us of the present condition of the brethren in some of the affected areas, some information regarding the damage, and it gives us some idea of the immediate needs there now. I do thank and praise my God that among the brethren and their families we have heard from and about, they are all safe. Many lost their homes and belongings, many of the church buildings were severely damaged and many of the roofs were blown off. It is such a miracle to me that in the midst of such destruction and death that God has held His people in the palm of His hand and preserved their lives. Praise God! While we mourn for those many families who have lost loved ones in this storm, we must rejoice that those of the household of faith have been preserved.
I have talked with Pastor Dan Stepp this morning and we are endeavoring to raise some relief support for the brethren who have been affected by this storm. The needs are many, and Bro. Stepp has been in contact by phone with Pastor Gepilga, whose church is centrally located in the affected areas. He is a pioneer in the work in the Visayas region and highly respected among the churches and brethren there. We have agreed that Pastor Gepilga should work with all the brethren there to distribute any help that can be raised for this relief effort.
I have included the e-mails I have received below. I have not edited them. They are in the main as I received them.
If any churches or individuals would like to help with this relief fund, support can be sent to either the Heritage Landmark Baptist Church, 1464 Rock Castle Rd, Given, WV. 25245 or the Dessie Baptist Church, HC 69 Box 34B, Clem, WV 26623-9304. Please designate any help for Philippines Relief. There will be a financial report of all financial help received and distributed by both churches. If there are any questions feel free to call Pastor Stepp at (304) 372-8613 or myself at (304) 462-5591. Let me assure you that every penny of help will make it to these brethren. We cover any expense in getting it to them. If you cannot help financially, please continue to pray for these brethren. The following are the e-mails I have received.
May God bless and continue to watch over the brethren in the Philippines, and I pray God will bless you…
By Grace Alone,
Mark C. Minney…Pastor

Dear Brother Mark,
Greetings in the name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!
I am Jemuel Paguntalan, and I am the Eldest Son of Pastor Elmer Paguntalan. I am sending this message to you and the brethren their in the states to let you know about our current situation.
We are very much thankful to the Lord for keeping us safe from peril when the super typhoon wreak havoc in our hometown and neighboring towns as well. We are very grateful thatHe has kept us from being swept away by the strong winds and falling debris caused by the storm. Despite losing our homes and our Church Building, we are still thankful that no member of the church and their respective family members where harmed and injured. God has provided us with shelter and the necessary things we needed to survive. My Father and I talked about getting help from our friends and relatives here in iloilo, but we are remotely isolated due to uncleared roads and obstacles. We have no access to any means of communications. We are in a total blackout. But God has blessed us once again and let me travel here in iloilo to send news and ask for help. So I am sending this mail to you.
As for the damages, our church building's roof was swept away and the whole place flooding with rain water. Broken glasses from the window panels and broken lightbulbs are also everywhere, we cannot be able to use it as of now. We will temporarily hold our church services in our rented home just few metes from the church. Our motorboat service that we use on our island mission was also totally destroyed with all other motor boats. Some members also lost their homes and their livelihood. Some of them kept shelter together with us. As of now we are living under the Providence and the Grace of God.
Lastly Brother Mark, we would like to ask that you continue to help us and include us in your prayers so that we may have a speedy recovery. I have inlcuded some pictures that were taken during and after the storm. My father and the church members sends their regards and gratitude to you and the brethren their.
Sincerly in Behalf of Bro. Elmer Paguntalan….Jemuel
(Pastor Paguntalan is pastor of Sovereign Grace church in Estancia in Visayas)

Dear Bro. Dan and Bro. Mark,
Greetings in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ! I just want to inform you that 80% of our Churches and Missions here in Iloilo were totally damage due to the Super Typhoon Yolanda which strike the Philippines last Nov. 8, 2013. The storm was able to blown many of our Church Building and cause extreme damage to the houses and livelihood of our people. The Electricity and Communication System was totally affected which we find it hard to contact many of our pastors and workers. The electricity just resumed yesterday here in our place, that's why I had able to make this email. The Church in Estancia with Bro. Elmer Paguntalan experience extreme damage since the storm made a fifth landfall in their area. Right now, we can't travel directly to some of our churches and missions which was extremely damage also because the road as for the moment is not yet clear and still unpassable due to some destroyed bridges. We would like to appeal for your help and assistance to meet the immediate needs of our people for this time specifically for food, clothing and shelter. We would appreciate any assistance from you and do hope for your love and concerns. Please continue to pray for us!
Bro. Francis Gepilga
(Pastor Gepilga is a pastor near Iloilo in Visayas region)

Dear Bro.Dan and Mark,
Bro.Gonzaga text me a short message. He said the family and other brethren are in safe condition in Tacloban, Leyte. Their problem is shortage of food and water. Today, government relief arrived already. More tomorrow. The houses of the Gonzaga and the Duma have no roof. There's still no means on how we can send helps. I got an information from Jerusa (bro.Gonzaga's daughter, working in Cebu) that their relatives from Calbayog, Samar are coming to help the Gonzagas. I have no news regarding Isabel brethren.
Other Visayan brethren condition: Bro.Alcorin of Don Salvador, Negros Occidental is fine; Bro.Lozano of Roxas, Mindoro is fine also. With damage on their Banana and Lanzones crops; Bro.Gepilga of Iloilo is fine. They are preparing food package to be sent to the affected brthren. Some damages on their houses and chapel; Bro.Junsai of Janiuay, Iloilo is fine also with some damages on their houses and chapel; According to Bro.Dote of Bacolod, Negros Occidental, they are fine. No damage on their houses; According to Bro.Horlador of Bacolod also, they are fine. No damage on houses, except their mission in Canlaon city. The roof of the chapel is gone. Bro.Cabalhin of Mambukal, Negros Occidental is fine also.So far, no brethren have been hurt. Only their house and chapels were damaged. Thank you brothers for your prayers, that God gave safety to our beloved brethren. I will give you information when sending helps are already possible
.Bro.Alex

Dear Bro. Mark,
Papa just called me up yesterday. They are safe, thank God..Though parts of the church and our house's roof were gone..same thing with the other churches. The network coverage is back but still no electricity because the electric posts will be fixed in about a month or two.. he will email all the brethren as soon as he goes to Iloilo city and gets internet .. God bless you and the people who fervently prays for our situation..
In Christ alone,
Phebe

(Editor’s Note: Sister Phebe is the daughter of Pastor Min Geromiano. He pastors a church in Calinog & missionary to mountain region there.)

Matthew Stepp
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: God answers prayers! Reply with quote

Dear Bro. Matthew,

I praise the Lord that he covered us with His mighty hands and we survived the super typhoon. It is so heart breaking to watch television now and see the damages caused by the storm. My report is not to give you problem but i would like to request prayers for our country. Just last month there was a war between the terrorists and the Philippine ARMY in Zamboanga. Many houses were burned and many died. Pork barrel scandal by our government officials where 10 billion pesos were gone. Destructive earthquake in Bohol last Oct. 15 and now typhoon Yolanda that destroyed many lives. They estimated 10,000 people died. Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao is suffering from many forms of problems.
We still don't have electricity as of now and they said it'll be back after 2 months. There are still 1 family living with us now who evacuated in our church when the storm arrived. Their house was totally wrecked. Our roof here in our parsonage is damaged and partially here in our church.
Thank you for your continuous prayers Brother Matthew. I have sent you my reports but i think i've sent it to your old email address. God bless you.

Saved by grace,
Ptr. Min

Pastor Herminio Geromiano, father of Sis.Phebe in the above posts!

Steve McCool
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this message from Bro. Hansel Villasor this morning. He lives and Pastors in San Carlos City, San Carlos, Philippines.

Yes we had. A tree fell down the church building. One of my church members home was unroof and a need of repair for that is evident. We need some food and clothes here. There is electricity until December 15 or Jan 2014. I need to have also a generator set.

Bro. Villasor and I have been giving each other a "Good morning" on FaceBook every morning for several months now. The church he Pastors was organized by a church in Manila. That church was once a Mission work where Bro. Brent Spears was when he was in the Philippines.
Bro. Villasor told me this morning he has been in contact with Bro. John Fry and Bro. Kenneth Long. So I don't know if anyone here is gathering things up for him or not.
Matthew Stepp
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Most recent update... Reply with quote

Subject: The Brethren at Leyte area
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 03:07:11 +0800 (SGT)

Dear Bro. DAN and Bro. MARK,

Greetings once again in the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ! I just want to inform you that I had able to come to Leyte together with bro. Andres Atup to assist our brethren for their immediate needs and it sadden us to much upon seeing their situation. It seems to me that they are really neglected by the government because there was no much report in the news both in tv or in the radio of their situation. The Super Typhoon Yolanda cause to much devastation also in our brethren in Isabel area wherein 90% of our brethren there lost their houses and suffered for the lack of food. They waited for us there in the church building for it became their temporary shelter praying that help may come for there is no communication that they can use to ask for help. The church building is still intact except for the Sunday school room for children wherein the roof was blown off by the typhoon.

We come there with relief goods which we have purchase from Cebu with the assistance of Bro. Ed Debuque. When we meet the brethren at Landmark Baptist church we are move emotionally because of their situation. Our presence is a great comfort to the brethren, and they thank God upon knowing that we don't forget them especially in times of great needs.

In the following day, we hired a van to visit our brethren also in some other areas in Leyte and we are accompanied by some of the members of Landmark Baptist Church at Isabel.

We went first in Tacloban City at Sov. Grace Ana Baptist Mission pastored by Bro. Dominador Gonzaga. This is the place wherein the casualties are more than 5,000. with so many were missing. We praise God upon seeing bro. Gonzaga safe with his family. The roof of their place of worship was all flown off also by the super typhoon.

Then we proceed to the place of bro. Gorge Monsalud at Naval wherein we give also relief assistance. Then we passed by at place of bro. Danilo Denoy at Matag-ob Leyte. He is in Manila right now because his son was being brought to the hospital due to a severe illness. Bro Salacup assisted him there of their needs.

We also visit the place of bro. Fernando Falguera at Palumpon, it sad to say that his father also became a victim of the super typhoon Yolanda wherein his body was found dead one week after. I will just send you some of the pictures which we take out there and our assessment of the damage cause by the super typhoon yolanda to all our brethren there at Leyte area.

Bro. Francis Gepilga

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SovereignGraceBaptistForum.com Forum Index -> Prayer Requests All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: