SovereignGraceBaptistForum.com Forum Index SovereignGraceBaptistForum.com
(The views and opinions expressed here are the views of the members and do not necessarily reflect the view of the Sovereign Grace Baptist Church in Northport, AL)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kindle vs nook

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SovereignGraceBaptistForum.com Forum Index -> Book Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlotte DeRaad
Average Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: kindle vs nook Reply with quote

I know that some of you have a kindle so my question is for a novice which would be better to purchase?

Amazon is offering a kindle for $79.00 and I would like to know if this is a good offer.

Just need some help as to getting one of these. Thanks for your help.

Sister DeRaad
wtbryant
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty confident that the Nook is going to go for $79 after Thanksgiving. It's $99 now, which is a good deal.

Personally, I'd have to take the touchscreen Nook over the Kindle. The availability of free Christian books, I think, is better at Barnes and Noble too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
jlreynolds
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlotte DeRaad wrote

Quote:

Just need some help as to getting one of these.

Of course in the end as you are paying for it you need to get what best meets your needs.
But, perhaps I can offer some personal observations based on considerable usage of a Kindle and a very limited use of a Nook that may be of benefit.

I have had a 3rd generation Kindle since about the first of the year. I generally use it every day.
When I started doing the ePub eBook conversions my neighbor let me use her Nook to test the conversions so my experience with an actual Nook is pretty limited.
I do have a Motorola Xoom which is of the touch screen OS so in that respect it is like a nook or any touch screen reader / tablet.

The most important question you might consider is: “Are you going to do anything but read on it?”
Both the entry level Kindle and the Nook allow for more functions. But their extended functions are VERY limited. The Nook probably has the edge in that respect.
However, if you plan on using it just as an eReader the Kindle is far superior.
This is not just an opinion but based on actual design parameters, two which I will mention.
The Kindle uses eInk which gives a much sharper character.
The Nook is basically a small computer screen and as such displays in an almost identical fashion.
Because of these differences in display you need to be aware that:

The Kindle will require a light source if you want to read it in a darkened environment. In that aspect it is like a paper book. There are cases made for the Kindle that have small reading lights built in them which are powered from the Kindle.

Conversely, if you think you will ever read in a sunny or well illuminated area such as outside then a Nook, tablet, or any computer type display becomes practically worthless. I know you can turn up the brightness and contrast to make things better but they are still limited by their display in well illuminated areas. You have probably seen the commercials where the woman is reading her Kindle by the pool to illustrate this point.

For some people, the Kindle is far easier on the eyes and doesn’t produce the eye strain that the Nook / tablet screens commonly bring on. Again, this is due to the fact that it uses eInk and is not a computer tpe display.
I worked for 15+ years in front of a large graphics computer screen from 8-12 hours a day and still suffer from the effects that it produced.
I can read on my Xoom (using the Kindle app) but a fraction of the time I can read on my Kindle.

The quickest and fastest navigation of Bibles on either the Kindle or ePub platform are those offered by Osnova. Because the Nooks are so slow in searching and navigation he no longer advertises his DVJ (Direct Verse Jump) feature on them.
Remember that these devices must use the hardware to navigate through the Bible versions. It is NOT like a software program on a tablet such as PocketBible or OliveTree BibleReader.

As to more free Christian books being available on a Nook I can’t comment with any real knowledge. I suspect that may be the case as they use the ePub format which more eReaders use than the Kindle format.
However, I do know that there are literally thousands of Kindle books available and I have never found anything I was looking for that was not available on a Kindle and was on the ePub format.

The $79 Kindles use advertisements when the screen savers come on instead of pictures of old authors.
That feature was not available when I got my Kindle or I would have gone with it. They still make the 3rd generation style kindle as well as four other ‘new’ styles.

You may also want to note the differences in storage capacity and battery life between the two devices.

In closing permit me now to offer my personal opinion. It’s worth just about as much as it cost.
If the Kindle was $99 and the Nook was $79 I would still definitely go with the Kindle because of its superior display and its speed in going form Bible verse to Bible verse.

I have a paper Bible on my pew at church for use when I ride my motorcycle and don’t to carry the Kndle or Xoom. But for the most part I have not used a paper edition in months.
Because of its power I use the Xoom for research as ‘programs’ are available for it that are not available on either the Kindle or Nook. But for just reading the Kindle is the hands down champion.
If I were limited to one device, either the Kindle or the Xoom, it would definitely be bye bye Xoom.

James
wtbryant
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH...I forgot Brother Reynolds was in sales for Kindle Smile.

Seriously, all of the things he said is true. Though, I think the Nook Simple touch is e-ink as well. I may be "new-fashioned" but the touch screen is worth a lot to me personally. Here's the link:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-simple-touch-barnes-noble/1102344735

Either way, both are a great step forward for you if you have nothing.

As Brother Reynolds hinted to, there are some decent tablets out there that will be on sale on Black Friday as well. That may be worth your money.

Brother Reynolds, I too haven't used a physical book (including the Bible) much in quite some time. The ease of carrying a nice library with me and the ease of navigation just make an e-reader so much better!!

Let us know what you get, Sister![url][/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
jlreynolds
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brother Todd;
Thanks for the link on the new Nook.
As I mentioned my usage of an actual Nook is quite limited, and it was not this newer model.
The eInk display would certainly even up the comparison somewhat.
It looks like that model Nook would be a very nice eReader.
Perhaps a side by side comparison might be beneficial for someone in the market for a new eReader.
Kindle also makes a touch screen eReader that sells for $99.
It may or may not be of any value most people but the Kindle is the only eReader with text-to-speech, audiobooks and mp3 support.
You could listen to Alexander Scourby read the KJV while you read it.
J.
jlreynolds
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're an early riser:

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=2836702&pid=1218354881354&catId=&ev=prodView

J.
Charlotte DeRaad
Average Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know I got the Kindle touch. I just received it today so been reading up on how to do things on it. First book I want is the Bible. I'll let you know how I do with it.

Thank you for your help I really appreciate your input.

Have a great Lord's Day.

Sister Charlotte
jlreynolds
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Best Kindle Bibles Reply with quote

The VERY best Kindle Bibles are here:
http://store.osnova.com
Also some thought on Bible use in the Kindle Touch and Kindle Fire by someone who is very knowledgeable on Kindle books:
http://osnova.com/2011/11/22/kindlefir/#more-1266
J.
wtbryant
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister,

I'm more than confident you will fall in love with it!! Please update us and let us know how you are enjoying it!

God bless.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SovereignGraceBaptistForum.com Forum Index -> Book Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: