SovereignGraceBaptistForum.com Forum Index SovereignGraceBaptistForum.com
(The views and opinions expressed here are the views of the members and do not necessarily reflect the view of the Sovereign Grace Baptist Church in Northport, AL)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bibles on smartphones or tablets?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SovereignGraceBaptistForum.com Forum Index -> Book Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wtbryant
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Bibles on smartphones or tablets? Reply with quote

What Bible programs do y'all use on these? Brother James and I have been discussing them. I was wondering what input some of you may have. I have used OliveTree for some time after being recommended it by a good friend that had tried several. I like it. Brother James has used QuickVerse on his PC for some time and has grown to love it. They publish PocketBible for Android and iTunes.

Has anybody used anything else?

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
wtbryant
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some of you have smartphones - surely you take advantage of the Bible feature. I've used mine a ton!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Umpire
Average Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OliveTree is my primary one I use. I also use LiveBible which requires Internet access for when I want to check differences in different versions that I do not keep standard in OliveTree.

I have KJV, NKJV, MKJV, Tyndale, Webster's Common and Wycliffe local on OliveTree.

LiveBible will let you check individual verse references from myriad other sources so you don't have to keep any version that you do not need locally.

I have some friends that love YouVersion but I have yet to try it.

Primary Mobile Platform=Android but I also have an iPod Touch that has OliveTree on it as well.
Jeff Short
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using Olive Tree for Android. I have read about the Logos software that is for the computer but they also have mobile apps. They seem to have some interoperability and syncing across the platforms that is very interesting.
Incline my heart unto thy testimonies, and not to covetousness. ~ Ps 119:36
Incline not my heart to any evil thing, to practice wicked works with men that work iniquity: and let me not eat of their dainties. ~ Ps 141:4
jlreynolds
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to consider also is not only the APP but the platform on which it is going to be used.

As Brother Todd mentioned I really like the PocketBible but currently it is not available for the Android OS. I tried it on Luann's iPad and really was impressed by it.

Olive Tree had announced that they were going to release a Beta verson for the Android 3.0+ June 1. I was really impressed with the Motorola Xoom and when I saw that I thought I would give it (the OT Bible APP) a try on the iPad (assuming it would be similar on Android 3.0+ OS). After being instructed by Brother Todd on some of its (the OT Bible APP) functionality I bought a Xoom.

Sadly, the OT Bible App for 3.0+ Honeycomb is NOT the same as the iOS version, being much inferior. Hopefully they will improve it in the future.

I just checked and the version I got at the Android app store is not the Beta which has several improvements. I am currently downloading the Beta version. Hopefully it will be better.

James
jlreynolds
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought perhaps an update might be in order concerning the OliveTree Beta Bible reader (4.5).

After loading it on the Xoom and checking out some of its features I found it far closer to the iOS version (5.0) that is available for the Apple products than the 4.0 version that is available at the Android App store.

However, while navigating through the app it crashed and would not restart, even after deleting the app and reinstalling it.

I contacted OT and they suggested that that I remove the OT folder from the SD card, as that it where they store the data and history on the Android versions to save space on the device's internal storage.

I haven't used the SD card feature yet so the OT folder was on the Xoom's HD. The device is recognized as a USB storage device by Windows so I easily deleted that folder and no the App is working again.

It is definitely not as full featured as the 5.0 iOS version and has some 'bugs' (which they acknowledge) as being a Beta version. But hopefully when they release the general version it will be as robust as the iOS edition.

James
Andy Proctor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a free Bible app called MySword which I was personally impressed with. It has several commentaries, dictionaries, and Bibles one can download for free. It also has, as you might imagine, a concordance, Strongs Greek and Hebrew, and other language helps. From what I have seen, which hasn't been too extensive, or expensive, it seems like a good and comprehensive product. Has anyone else used it or heard about My Sword?
The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.
2 Corinthians 13:14
jlreynolds
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Android Apps Reply with quote

OliveTree released a new Beta 4.5 build yesterday (06/21/11) for the Android OS.

A number of bugs were corrected (including the ability to now really set the background color).

Two new icons have been added to the top row (library & search). The ‘Report Bug’ icon now simply exits the program.
The drop down window that had only Library & Goto now includes Settings, Search, History & Bookmark. It also now displays Book, Chapter, Verse & Version – i.e. Acts 12:4 KJV.

Both Goto & Search speeds seem to be faster. I don’t think they are on par with the 5.0 version for iOS yet (I no longer have that on Luann’s iPad2 so I can’t really verify). But they are certainly not in the same league as PocketBible on the iOS (I do yet have that on her iPad2).

There is yet no ability to select one or two columns with both scrolling styles. Flick give one column and Right / Left gives two columns.

(In the PocketBible a tap at the vertical center edge of the screen will move a page forward / backward in a Kindle-like fashion. The same thing at the vertical top edge of the screen will move a chapter forward / backward. I was told by the project leader that they would not consider that functionality as they us a tap anywhere on the screen to show the drop down menu.)

I have experienced some crashes with it but not as frequent as the previous Beta build.

Hopefully by the time the production version is released it will be faster and have the same features as the iOS 5.0 version.
The latest Beta build for Android OS is here: http://www.olivetree.com/m/platform_android_20.php

The MySword for Android V1.6.2 that Brother Andy Proctor referred to is available here:
http://mysword.info

For anyone familiar with OnlineBible the MySword GUI is very similar, both in appearance and (somewhat) in function.

As Brother Andy mentioned there are a number of the free public domain resources available for it, such as John Gill, Robertson’s Word Pictures, Vincent’s Word Studies, Matthew Henry just to name a few. Several Bibles and dictionaries are also available including some Greek / Hebrew resources.

The GUI can be tailored (somewhat) to the user’s personal preferences.

There is the ability to compare a verse in all Bible versions available to the app.

The Goto, like the OliveTree Beta, requires five pokes but MySword is significantly faster than the OliveTree Beta.

I have not been able to get it to do Boolean searches, but that is most likely operator error.

Verses are displayed (on the Xoom anyway) in a verse per line format.

The number of resources available for this app and its speed in Goto and searches (although yet to me limited) make it one of my favorite Xoom apps.

The only issue I have found is that some of the modules do not seem to use UTF-8 character encoding and this causes certain characters (generally Greek / Hebrew) to not be displayed properly. Admittedly this is a small issue and hopefully it will be addressed in future releases.

Of course these apps have many more features than those few I listed. I would recommend them both to anyone having an Android OS device.

Hopefully, (for me anyway) Craig Rairdin - http://www.laridian.com - will release an Android version of PocketBible soon.
James
Jeff Short
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the updates about the different apps. I do not have a tablet, only an Android phone. What made you choose the Xoom over the iPad since you have obviously used the iPad?
Incline not my heart to any evil thing, to practice wicked works with men that work iniquity: and let me not eat of their dainties. ~ Ps 141:4
jlreynolds
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brother Jeff;
I really like Luann's iPad2 and almost bought one due to the fact that PocketBible would run on it. Had I done so I'm sure that I would have been satisfied with it.

However, for ME there are some drawbacks to the iPad / iOS.

I do not care for the 'walled garden' concept that Apple uses on their mobile devices which restricts what the user (owner) can do with the device and what they can put on the device. Only by direct download to the device or through iTunes is the user able to (in a limited fashion) access the file system.

There is no USB port on an iPad.

There is no SD card support on the iPad.

There is no Flash Player support on the iPad which restricts web browsing.

With the Android / Honeycomb OS the user simply drags and drops files via a USB cable. There are also on-board File Manager apps available.

The Xoom / Honeycomb OS is capable of real multitasking, which is the way I use a computer. I routinely have several apps running on the Xoom at the same time and quickly switch back and forth between them.

The iPad is slimmer, sleeker and lighter than the Xoom, none of which make any difference to me.

The cameras on the Xoom are higher resolution, which makes no difference to me as a I personally think that is a useless feature.

As I said I think Luann's iPad2 is a great device, it's just not MY first choice.

Almost weekly there are new Honeycomb tablets being introduced and prices are starting to fall.

James
jlreynolds
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Updated Olive Tree Bible Reader & GREAT Price on a Xoom Reply with quote

Olive Tree recently updated their marketplace Android OS Bible Reader to 4.5. (This is 4.5 Beta with a few tweaks. I don't think a Beta version is now available from them.)

It still is not as functional as the 5.0 iOS version but the developers tell me that they're 'getting there'.

Also, for those considering a really robust tablet Staples has the Motorola Zoom WiFi for $399. (Roll out price was $599 & current price is $499).
Actually they have $100 off MOST tablets.

Staples $100 off most tablets.

On the Xoom a recent OS upgrade (Honeycomb 3.2) added functionality to the MicroSD card slot.

Also, I've noticed it is somewhat faster overall.
I had upgraded to the OT 4.5 marketplace app and thought it was just the app being faster. But when I ran the 4.5 Beta it was noticeably faster also.

Other Xoom owners have commented on various forums that they also have noticed their Xooms being faster.
James
jlreynolds
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who may desire to use their mobile devices for note taking & printing there are two Android apps which you may find helpful.

Evernote https://market.android.com/details?id=com.evernote is a pretty full featured free note app. It allows character formatting such as bold, italics, and underscore.

You can do bullet or numbered lists, add attachments, tags, and if your device has the capacity take pictures & videos from within the app and include them.

You can also have Evernote on multiple devices (including PCs) and it will synch your notes to them. Our son, David, uses this app on his iPad & iMac.

Motoprint (for Xoom) https://market.android.com/details?id=com.softwareimagingk.motoprint.propack1&feature=search_result is a printing app that will (pretty much) automatically find your WiFi printer and print docs, pictures, etc. to it.

I haven't found the need to print from the Xoom yet but I may now that a good print app is available for it.Very Happy
James

This post created on Evernote
jlreynolds
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Costco dropped the Xoom to $399.
Staples IS matching that price and STILL giving the $100 off.
Result: Xoom - $299.
J.

Link to coupon: http://reg.e.staples.com/c/s/tagfrm/hBOJnz1B7SHGCB8ca0OCYWUNv53/coupon.html?storeId=10001&AID=10428703&CID=AFF%253A552179%253A552179%253A10428703&cm_mmc=CJ-_-552179-_-552179-_-10428703&SID=VGljVTBBb0JDallBQUNDZWRNd0FBQUpD&PID=552179&n=927
Jeff Short
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you have to do to get the price match? Is it in store only?
jlreynolds
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the coupon:

Quote:
*Valid through 7/30/11 in Staples® U.S. stores only. Discount applies to tablets only, excluding the HP TouchPad tablet, Amazon Kindle® and NOOK by Barnes & Noble™. Limit one per customer, per day. While supplies last. Each item purchased can only be discounted by one coupon, applied by cashier in order received and prior to tax. Coupon not valid if purchased or sold and must be surrendered. No copies/facsimiles. No cash/credit back. Not valid on prior purchases or purchases made with Staples® Procurement or Convenience Cards.

I suspect that supplies at most Staples will be dwindling FAST when this gets out.

From those who have gotten the $299 price:
There has to be a Costo within the area(??) that the Staples can call to verify the $399 price.

I am very satisfied with my Xoom, even at the price I paid (about $560). At this $299 price I have to fight the urge to get a spare.

James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SovereignGraceBaptistForum.com Forum Index -> Book Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: