SovereignGraceBaptistForum.com Forum Index SovereignGraceBaptistForum.com
(The views and opinions expressed here are the views of the members and do not necessarily reflect the view of the Sovereign Grace Baptist Church in Northport, AL)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No Singing About Wrath!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SovereignGraceBaptistForum.com Forum Index -> News of Interest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JasonShults
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: No Singing About Wrath! Reply with quote

Thought this was interesting ... wouldn't have expected it from Presbyterians.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/05/presbyterians-decision-to-drop-hymn-stirs-debate/2618833/
wtbryant
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard about this the otheir day on the radio. Understand, this is not the "conservative" Presbyterians. That is the PCA (Presbyterian Churches of America). They still preach and teach the doctrines of grace boldy and remain conservative on several other issues accordingly. The group in this article is the P-USA (Presbyterian Churches USA). They are liberals to the core. You name it, they probably believe it.

As for this song, it is one of my favorites of new hymns. The entirety of the lyrics drive home the fact that we are saved "In Christ Alone". But the lyrics they wanted to change are perhaps the most powerful. In Christ Alone "the wrath of God was satisfied". Wow! Now, they wanted to change it to "the love of God was magnified" which is certainly still true. But, why in the world would they want to delete the original words?

I'll give a handclap of appreciation to the author for not allowing it. Glad to hear there are still some hymn writers out there with some conviction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Andy Proctor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love could not be demonstrated if the wrath of God could not have been directed upon our Saviour. Both are expressions of the impeccable character of God.

Just a note, OPC, Orthodox Presbyterian are a more conservative branch than PCA.
The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.
2 Corinthians 13:14
wtbryant
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Proctor wrote:

Just a note, OPC, Orthodox Presbyterian are a more conservative branch than PCA.

Interesting...we apparently don't have any of these around here. Our PCA churches are quite conservative. One thing for sure though, the P-USA (the one in this article) are the other end of the spectrum from "conservative" in any form and fashion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Doug Newell
Average Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some in the SBC seem to agree.

http://www.thealabamabaptist.org/print-edition-article-detail.php?id_art=28401&pricat_art=1
wtbryant
Forum Fixture

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, had the author originally penned "the love of God was magnified", I'd have no issue with that. Certainly, we see God's love for His own in the meritorious work of Christ. However, that was not the original phrase. The original phrase was "the wrath of God was satisfied". To desire to remove this glorious truth from a song is problematic to any theological system, in my opinion, and shows a clear misundestanding. Jesus' sacrifice certainly did appease God's wrath against sin. In fact, God hates sin so bad that the only way to appease it was for His sinless Son to die for it. Yes, "in Christ alone...the wrath of God was satisifed". If not for the sacrifice of our Savior, we'd still be "children of wrath" just as the others today (Ephesians 2).

It's somewhat encouraging to know there are still some folks with integrity out there. I'm certain that I'd disagree with the author of this hymn on some things. But, I rejoice in his presentation of the work of Christ. "In Christ Alone" became even more dear to me when I think of the persecution slung toward its author.

Brother Doug, the SBC is widely split right now on grace. There are some rank Arminians in the SBC and have been for many years. And yet, today the SBC probably has the highest number of outspoken "doctrines of grace preachers" it has had in 50 years. I see no way that we don't see a major rift in the convention if Christ doesn't soon return. The gap has just widened to a point that it is unsustainable. I'm thankful to see some men returning to the preaching of God's soveriegnty in salvation and not being swayed by numbers and money.
Doug Newell
Average Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several friends who are in SBC churches who are grieved by a lot of the shenanigans . They are really doctrinally sound, godly men and women.

It is the kind of article that I shared that will eventually drive them out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SovereignGraceBaptistForum.com Forum Index -> News of Interest All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: